The RNS Simulation Fellowship is a one year ANZCA accredited fellowship which is designed to provide extensive experience in simulation-based medical education to improve patient care and safety.
Fellowship overview and program description
The fellowship provides a unique opportunity for anaesthetists who wish to develop expertise in simulation as a tool for medical education and patient safety. The program is tailored to the specific needs and interests of the fellow.
The fellowship typically involves a combination of coursework, hands-on training,, and supervised practice. Fellows in this program will learn to design, implement and effectively debrief simulation based training scenarios for anaesthetists and other healthcare professionals. They will also learn to evaluate the effectiveness of simulation-based training and use the results to improve patient care.
Fellows will work closely with experienced educators and simulation experts to develop their knowledge and skills in areas such as human factors, patient safety, and the use of technology in medical education. They will also have opportunities to apply their new skills in real-world settings, such as in the operating room or in other clinical environments.
Upon completion of the fellowship, graduates will be equipped with the knowledge and skills to design, implement, and evaluate simulation-based educational programs in anaesthesia, and to serve as leaders in the field of medical education.
The Simulation PF will spend the majority of their simulation time at Sydney Clinical Skills and Simulation Centre which is located on the same campus as RNSH. Courses which the fellow will be be involved in as faculty include:
- Emergency Management of Anaesthetic Crises (EMAC)
- ANZCA Emergency Response Unit courses (Paediatrics / Anaphylaxis / Obstetrics)
- Advanced Technical and Teamwork Training for Anaesthetic Airway Crises (ATTAAC)
- Anaesthetic Registrar Simulation
- Comprehensive Simulation Instructor Training (CSIT)
- Neonatal Resuscitation Training
- High Acuity Rapid Response Team Training (HARTT)
- Rural GP Anaesthetist training
- Local and National Anaesthetic CME and airway meetings
The Anaesthetic Simulation Fellow appointment is 0.5 FTE at Sydney Clinical Skills and Simulation Centre and 0.5 FTE clinical anaesthesia at Royal North Shore Hospital.
Our fellows are exposed to a broad range of general and subspecialty interest anaesthesia with flexible allocations to suit their clinical interests. Please see our general fellowship tab to see what subspecialties we provide at RNSH.
- Educational and adult learning theory
- Simulation curriculum and course development
- Assessment and evaluation
- Debriefing and feedback
- Simulation program operations and technology
- Patient safety, systems improvement and human factors
- Leadership and management
Applications can be found on NSW Health Careers (https://jobs.health.nsw.gov.au/)